Teeth whitening has become increasingly popular in Perth, with more and more people wanting a dazzlingly white smile. While everyone’s smile is unique, every smile looks healthier and more radiant with a clean, white set of teeth.
Are you considering brightening and whitening your teeth? There are plenty of reasons to have a pearly smile, such as:
- A special occasion, such as a wedding or function, where you want your smile to be the cherry on top of your appearance
- If you’re attending a job interview and you want to make a glowing first impression
- Simply to remove stains from the teeth so you can have a Hollywood smile every day.
- The boost in confidence will make you feel like smiling at everyone – and when you smile at the world, it smiles back.
- The price of teeth whitening is relatively inexpensive compared to other cosmetic works you can have done on your appearance, but adds the subtle vigour of health and youth.
- If you have ageing teeth, teeth whitening can take years off your smile
- It can be a helpful motivator if you’re trying to quit smoking or cut down on sugar. You’ll instantly see how bright and clean your smile is, and you’ll find it much easier to resist temptations that could dull your teeth!
While there are plenty of cosmetic beauty procedures you can have done that will make you stand out in the crowd, teeth whitening will keep you looking healthy and fresh while remaining one of the more subtle cosmetic procedures on the market. Teeth whitening is relatively inexpensive, and it is a small price to pay for a confident smile.
Common Causes Of Tooth Discolouration
There are three main causes of tooth discolouration;
Age related – this is usually a combination of lifestyle and early lifetime habits or traumas. Dentin naturally yellows over time, as the enamel thins across the tooth and the dentin becomes exposed. Dietary choices and smoking will play a huge role in the potential discolouration of a tooth, as well as any chips or cracks that may cause the tooth to darken.
Extrinsic – this is when your enamel is stained. This could be from coffee, soft drinks, wine, smoking, or other food and beverages.
Intrinsic – this is when the dentin darkens from beneath the enamel, and this is usually from early-life factors such as
- Your mother used tetracycline antibiotics during the second half of pregnancy, or you used them at 8 years of age or younger.
- A rare condition called dentinogenesis imperfecta. This causes grey, amber or purple discolorations.
- As a young child you experienced a trauma that affected a tooth, such as a bad fall which damaged a developing tooth still yet to erupt.
- You had internal bleeding which discoloured the tooth, such as from a trauma.
- You were exposed to too much fluoride during your childhood
If you think that your smile could benefit from a dental whitening procedure, call our friendly team at Carillon City Dental to organise an appointment or consultation. Our in-chair whitening procedure and take-home whitening kit are both available to you, and our dental team can provide answers to any questions or queries you may have.